Why Do Kids Suddenly Become Picky Eaters?
By Coach Krystyn Parks, MS, RD
As a dietitian, I hear it all the time: “My kid used to eat everything I set in front of them, but now they refuse anything I offer! What happened? What causes picky eating?”
While this is a fairly common problem (one study estimated about 20% of children are selective eaters), it is one of the most frustrating aspects of feeding children. Between ages 1 and 3, kids are learning about their independence, this includes eating! They are realizing they are their own person with their own preferences, and they want to make them known! There are some other factors that come into play around this time too:
Energy Needs Change
During the toddler years, their energy expenditure decreases significantly. The first year of life is one of the most rapid times of growth. Once that growth slows down, a kid’s appetite will naturally decrease. Kids will naturally start eating less and will also start to focus mostly on foods they know they like. If your concerned that your child is eating too much or too little, feel free to ask your Foublie coach about it!
Kids Know What They Need
Kids are naturally intuitive eaters, meaning they eat when they are hungry and stop when they are full. A child may appear picky at mealtime if they are not coming to meals hungry. A regular meal and snack schedule can help ensure that kids are hungry (but not starving) at the start of the meal which may make them more likely to eat a variety of foods.
There is a school of thought that this pickiness is a biological protection. As kids gain the ability to wander off and explore new places, the fear of trying a new food may prevent them from eating something dangerous.
Your Kid is Testing You
Kids may also be testing out their limits. If they have had success in the past with refusing a new meal and being offered one of their favorite foods, they may try this method again. Why risk trying something new and scary when they can just wait for something yummy?
Is This My Forever?
As frustrating as this phase can be, most kids do outgrow picky eating! One study found that most children’s pickiness decreases around age 6. Your Foublie coach can provide you with practical tools to help your child become a more adventurous eater or help give tips so it doesn’t get worse.
Read more about picky eating here or check out our picky eating program. You’ve got this!
picky eating program
This program is for you if:
- You feel like mealtime is a battle
- Everything you feed your kid ends up squished around on or on the floor
- Your kid’s diet is mostly white foods and starches
- You want to be proactive to prevent tricky eating behaviors
This program includes:
- An assessment of your child’s growth and nutritional status
- A personalized roadmap from your coach with goals and plans to take on all 5 dimensions of the Foublie5 method
- An introductory 15 minute call with your Foublie Coach
- Unlimited access to your Foublie Coach via messaging for 1 month
- Four structured weekly checkins with weekly documentation of your progress
- Tools, handouts and videos to learn more on strategies and techniques for feeding your kid
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!