Real Parents, Real Meals with the Allergy Friendly Mama
Today on our REAL MEALS series we have Lindsay, AKA the Allergy Friendly Mama! Lindsay has a very cool blog where you can find recipes and reflections on parenting. Her youngest, is allergic to dairy, eggs, peanuts and tree- nuts.
Thank you, Lindsay for sharing some time with Foublie! Help us say thank you with a follow on insta or sign up for her blog.
Like most of us, Lindsay grew up on pizza and chicken nuggets. Like many of us, she didn’t really think about what she ate until she got pregnant with her first kiddo. Suddenly nutrition played a bigger role in her life. She learned how to cook! Sound familiar?
With her second, Emma, they had to learn a whole new way of life. How they eat today is totally different. Lindsay meticulously ensures no dairy, egg, peanuts or tree-nuts are in their food due to Emma’s allergies. Because the foods they can eat are so restricted, nutrition is important.
So what’s her family food philosophy?
Find a community to make it easier
Time saver alert! Read blogs! “Everyone is at a different stage of their parenting journey and we can learn from each other.” For example, others have already figured out the recipes, so it’s a great place to start.
Listen to your body
Lindsay learned about Emma’s allergies when she was nursing. She had to change her own diet. What’s crazy is eliminating milk made her feel better too. Growing up she never wanted ice cream and milk like the other kids. This is something we hear a lot! Our bodies tell us, even as kids, that we don’t want to eat that.
Talk about food
The Allergy Friendly Mama has two kids. Her eldest, Sam is 5. He is a picky eater that loves kids foods. He is totally opposite of Emma, 3, who is adventurous and tries it all. They talk about food and nutrition.They read books about veggies and fruits and about how it makes our insides feel good! As a family managing food allergies, talking about food helps her kids play a role in keeping Emma safe.
Play with food
Lindsay likes to play with recipes to eliminate the foods her family doesn’t eat. She is fortunate to have this time as a SAHM, and we think it’s great that she shares those recipes on her blog. Check out one of her favorites on her Allergy Friendly Mama blog...cookies for breakfast.
Don’t stress (too much)
Things are a million times harder with a food allergy but Lindsay has it under control. She has a community. She’s not alone. Take it one day at a time!
What’s your go to dinner?
Last but not least! Lindsay makes this one about once a week. It’s easy, nutritious and yummy. And bonus, everyone loves it. Can’t beat that!
Sausage & Veggies Tray-Bake
- 1 package of Aidell’s chicken and apple sausage (sliced about 1/2-1 inch thick depending on how crispy you like it to get. The thinner the slices are, the crispier it’ll be!)
- Veggie of choice (Lindsay’s go to is broccoli, brussel sprouts, but any veggie will work really!)
- Sweet potatoes (cut the same size as the veg)
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil & sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F
- In a bowl, toss together veggies with olive oil and sea salt.
- Throw veggies + potato on a sheet pan with the sausage and roast in the oven (middle rack) for 10 minutes. Take out and flip veggies/sausage. Put back into the oven for another 5 minutes or until it reaches your desired level of crispness.
Sounds pretty amazing to us. Thanks again, Allergy Friendly Mama.
If you like this: Check out
- Real Meals with Cassandra Curtis
- Real Meals with Serafina Palendech
- Real Meals with Dr. Maria Rivera
*Note: This is not a sponsored post. We will highlight businesses and people that we believe in and that share Foublie’s values. Do you want to be featured? Shoot us a note at [email protected]
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?