Understand the Pros and Cons of Hiding Vegetables
Annika Crossley, RDN, CD
Many parents have concerns when their kids- picky eater or not- isn’t getting many veggies as you think they should. Vegetables are packed with lots of different vitamins, minerals, and fiber – so these concerns are valid! You may try to make sure your child gets more veggies in by hiding them in other foods like sauces, smoothies, pasta, rice, and more. However, it’s important to consider both the pros and cons of hiding veggies. Let me break it down for you:
- Your child eats more veggies, and in turn get more of those wonderful nutrients that they need.
- You can worry less about their nutrition and what they are eating.
- Meal times may go a little more peacefully and your child might be happier with what they see on their plate.
- Your child is not learning that veggies are a normal and important part of meals, which can lead to poor eating habits later in life.
- You and your child are less aware of their developing tastes, and your child may continue to refuse recognizable veggies that they have actually been enjoying in a form they don’t recognize.
- If a child discovers that you’ve been sneaking veggies, it can break trust and reaffirm the idea that veggies are a “bad” food.
So, how would a Foublie Coach recommend approaching this situation?
If your child claims to not like eating vegetables, try offering them both ways! Make veggies part of every meal and snack – both hidden and recognizable. For example, zucchini bread for breakfast (hidden), and roasted zucchinis during dinner (recognizable). Talk to one of our coaches for ideas on how to do this! We can personalize it to your situation.
For the immediate future, try not to worry about nutritional deficiencies or pushing your child to eat more veggies if you are following our recommended strategies (check out our classes!). In the long run, with some changes, your child will become comfortable with seeing and eating veggies on a daily basis. It’s hard but possible!
Want more tips and tricks? We put together the ultimate starter pack.
Classes are the perfect way to get started. Watch at your own pace and when it works for you. We have 3 topics. Where will you start?
Our experts put together some pretty awesome videos that cover the evidence and tell you what you need to know to nourish yourself and your family.
Are you a lister? We’ve got shopping lists, check lists, how-to pictures and more!
Our Foublie coaches have professional quals. They are registered dietitians, lactation consultants and occupational therapists. At home they are food allergy moms, moms who have down BLW and honestly, they just get it.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!