How to Get Kids to Eat Veggies?
Annika Crossley, RDN, CD
Many parents have concerns when their kid isn’t getting many (or any) veggies in their diet. We’ve all thought about it… how to get kids to eat veggies?! Vegetables are packed with lots of different vitamins, minerals, and fiber – so these concerns are valid! You may try to make sure your child gets more veggies in by hiding them in other foods like sauces, smoothies, pasta, rice, and more. However, it’s important to consider both the pros and cons of hiding veggies.
How To Get Kids To Eat Veggies? Hide Them
- Your child eats more veggies, and in turn get more of those wonderful nutrients that they need.
- You can worry less about their nutrition and what they are eating.
- Meal times may go a little more peacefully and your child might be happier with what they see on their plate.
What Kids Miss If They Don’t See Vegetables
- Your child is not learning that veggies are a normal and important part of meals, which can lead to poor eating habits later in life.
- You and your child are less aware of their developing tastes, and your child may continue to refuse recognizable veggies that they have actually been enjoying in a form they don’t recognize.
- If a child discovers that you’ve been sneaking veggies, it can break trust and reaffirm the idea that veggies are a “bad” food.
So What Should I Do?
So, what would a Foublie coach do to get kids to eat more veggies with their own kids? If your child claims to not like eating vegetables, try offering them both ways! Make veggies part of every meal and snack – both hidden and recognizable. For example, zucchini bread for breakfast (hidden), and roasted zucchinis during dinner (recognizable). Talk to one of our coaches for ideas on how to do this! We can personalize it to your situation.
For the immediate future, try not to worry about nutritional deficiencies or push your child to eat more veggies. In the long run, with some changes, your child will become comfortable with seeing and eating veggies on a daily basis. It’s hard but possible!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
JOIN THE FOUBLIE FAM
LIKE THAT? TRY THIS