Get to know Foublie! We are delighted to introduce you to Coach Teresa!
Teresa is the mom of 2 playful, goofy boys (5 and 3). They love to play and… not that this should shock you, but they keep Teresa real busy. As an expert in food and nutrition she has some pretty awesome and useful tips to share. Her boys also have food allergies, so if you are a family living with a food allergy, she gets you, and that is hard to beat!
We chatted with Teresa about how she approaches food and nutrition at home, including how she manages multiple and different food allergies in both kiddos. Here are our favorite tips from one of our favorite food allergy moms and Foublie coaches:
- Talk to your kids about food: I try to avoid food labels and that is really hard. Some people call foods healthy and unhealthy, good and bad, even red, yellow and green light foods. I just call it what it is, a vegetable, a fruit, you get what I mean.
- Be honest: I don’t hide vegetables. I want them to know what they are eating. If they don’t like something that is OK.
- Involve kids in the cooking: I find that if we are making a smoothie and they throw in the spinach they are inspired to like it more because they are involved. We do activities like bake cookies, make muffins or even smoothie popsicles.
- Be chill: All toddlers have foods they love and hate. Sometimes that changes daily.
- Cook for everyone in one go: I make food my whole family can enjoy. It’s easier, but I also don’t want to restrict foods in the house. This is possible even with my kids having conflicting allergies and varying food preferences. I love meals where each family member can choose what they can/want to eat from different bowls. This also helps each boy eat the foods he can eat safely. We love taco night!
Teresa was also a practicing Registered Dietitian before she was a mom or had personal experience with managing a food allergy. Here’s how she describes how her experience as a food allergy mom changed how she coaches families:
I am more sympathetic for everyone dealing with food allergies. I didn’t realize how life changing a food allergy could be. It is more than just reading labels at home, but when we go out to restaurants and parties. When people are dismissive, it’s so frustrating. I get the anxiety and frustration.
Onward to our favorite part of these interviews, what is Teresa’s go to family meal?
Asian Fusion Tacos FTW. Everyone can avoid the food they can’t/won’t eat – just be careful of cross contact! This means prepping allergy safe ingredients first and setting aside, using water and soap to thoroughly clean hands cooking utensils, and providing a designated serving spoon for each ingredient. You provide the safe environment and a selection of healthy yummy toppings and the rest will work out on its own.
Asian Fusion Taco Recipe
Step 1: Make the meat (or any substitute you wish!)
I use a mixture of taco and Montreal steak seasoning (this stuff is amazing) and saute with ground turkey.
Step 2: Make an Asian vinaigrette for the red cabbage:
- 1/8 cup soy sauce (substitute w/tamari for gluten free or coco-amino for soy free/gluten free)
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp date syrup
- Black pepper to taste
Whisk all the ingredients together and toss over 1/2 sliced red cabbage.
Step 3: Put together other bowls for fixings, and serve it up!
I chop cilantro, green onion, tomatoes, mango, corn.
I’ll open a can of beans, and put out cheese.
Whatever you have!
Thanks Teresa! Learn more how to connect with Teresa and our other amazing Foublie Coaches.
Teresa’s Coaching Bio
- Boy mom (5 and 3), Food allergy mom
- Hometown: San Francisco, CA
- When not coaching: Teresa is running around with her 3 year old, watching the Good Doctor or catching up with friends.
- Guilty pleasure: Flamin’ Hot Cheetos
- Favorite food: Soup noodles (YUM)
- Coaching type: Cheerleader
- Creds: 7+ years clinical experience, 4+ years food allergy mom experience,
- Specialties: Food allergies, toddler food
Join the foublie fam?!
Ready for an awesome newsletter with more tips and tricks? Sign up here! We promise it’s great..
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?